Thursday, September 10, 2009

Q & A session

Told you it would be coming :) Please leave comments if you have any more and I'll get those addressed too!

Why did you decide to do this? Isn't it a bit of a drastic step?
Yes, it is drastic. Is it the first thing I'm jumping to in order to lose weight? Heck no! In order to have WLS you are required to show documentation of failed previous diets/weight loss attempts. My Dr didn't require me getting anything signed, just a list of when I tried, what it was, how much I lost, and how long it stayed off. Many insurance companies require a 6 month medically supervised diet before approving patients. Thankfully Tricare does not have that requirement!
What is dumping syndrome I've heard people talk about?
In short: something I never, EVER, want to experience! It happens when you eat too fast, too much, or something that you shouldn't (like sugar). Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types. From what I have been told, it is a very unpleasant experience. Most people will not want to eat whatever it was that made them sick for a long time, if ever. Episode lengths can vary, but usual is 30-60 minutes.
How much are you wanting to lose/what is your goal weight?
I'm not setting out with a goal weight in mind, or a number to shed. I will know I'm at goal when I get there. How? By how I feel and look to myself. I don't ever expect to be an itty bitty. It's just not going to happen! I do expect to be healthier, in normal sizes, and feel good about myself.
Aren't you scared?
Hell yes! LOL. Yes, I am scared/nervous/excited/everything else. But this is something I've wanted for a long time and been working for. I have the utmost confidence in my surgeon and his team. I know my husband will be very supportive during my hospital stay and once I get home and will help me over the hurdles.
How long will you be out of commission for? How long will you be in the hospital for?
It really varies by patient how long they are down for. My only prior operations have resulted in 2 puking, screaming, peeing, pooping, chow hounds. Err...let me rephrase, my 2 wonderful, sweet, caring little boys. I've never been under general before, so this will be new. I bounced back very quickly from both C-sections. With L2 the nurses were practically forcing me to take pain meds while still in the hospital. I anticipate my recovery from this will be fairly quickly too. Compared to many people who have this operation, I'm young with very few health issues, so that is a plus. I will not be able to drive for 2 weeks. We are hoping Dan will be able to have at least that much leave, we should find out next week for sure though. I will most likely be in the hospital for 4 days/3 nights. Surgery is on Tues so I should be back home on Friday.
Is it reversible or are you going to be like this for life?
It can be. However, unless there is some severe complication there isn't a need. I plan on having a little pouch for a stomach for ever!
Why RNY instead of the Lap or Realize-band?
Banding is becoming more and more popular, but I'm going the other way (which is still very popular!!!). With a band, you can cheat. Want a milkshake? No problem! Chug-a-lug it down and absorb all those bad things. I mainly decided on RNY because the inability to cheat. Well, you can cheat...but it's tough. You can begin to tolerate the bad stuff again, but most people will dump at first. You can get fat again, but you have to work at it. RNY has a much higher success rate for long term success. Basically I decided that if I'm going to do this, I'm going to get it right. (I'm not saying that bandits don't, it's just not for me!)
Isn't there a high death rate?
Mortality rate from recent data of Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass is 0.08% (Band is about 0.05%).

That's about all for now, plus L2 just woke up which means I better go if my computer wants to live to see tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment